picklesSodaThe little solar collector that I’m convinced sits on the top of my head has been activated by the extra sun. I’ve had so much energy and I’m getting a lot done. I had some cucumbers that I had dehydrated last summer. I also had some left over pickle juice. I brought the juice to a boil and added it to the cukes for some quick and reasonably good pickles. They would have been better had I sliced them a bit thicker.

Next I hit the garden. I got one large bed weeded and amended and then got the peas planted. I got a lot of greens replanted in the greenhouse too. The first batch cooked when I forgot to open the vents during the last hot spell. We’ve been eating mache every day. I’ve been desperate for crispy greens.

My final project was a batch of orange/ginger ale. The process is very simple. I sliced up some fresh ginger (1 1/2 oz) and added a chopped up tiny orange from the citrus trees. They’re way to tart to eat out of hand but they work for this. I also added 1 3/4 cups of sugar and brought this and 2 quarts of water to a slow boil. This simmered (covered) for 25 minutes then I turned the heat off and let it sit for another 25 minutes. Now I put 1 quart of cool water in a one gallon jug and added the strained juice. I proofed 1/8 teaspoon of regular bread yeast in a 1/4 cup warm water and added this. the I filled the jug to the top with more luke warm water. You want to aim for about 90 degrees. I bottled it in bail-top soda bottles. this will sit for 3-4 days and then go in the refrigerator until we drink it. It doesn’t usually last too long. I was beat by the time I finished getting the mess cleaned up and might glad that Karen made dinner.

My DIL and I are making plans for the big move. They will be living here for several months while they build a house here in town. I’m so excited about getting to spend this time with Nate, Amanda and the children. I’m so glad that I like my kids’ spouses. They are each people I would like even if they hadn’t had the good sense to marry one of my kids.