Once again, I’m a day late. Yesteday was a grand kids day. My son, Bruce, is out of the country for the week and the kids are here. I also had Henry and Mackenzie while their parents cleaned out the basement in preparation for the move here. It occured to me that I had missed my blog but there was no choice. The rest of the crew can entertain themselves very nicely but a one year old needs constant watching.

It was too hot to do much outside anyway. How odd to write that in April. Today looks to be much cooler and I do have much to do. But here’s the thing. Do I listen to history, which says to wait for several weeks before planting any number of things or do I listen to the birds and trees, the soil temperature and my own inner, impatient voice and plant some warmer temperature crops? I have been fooled before. I have put in seeds that rotted and set out seedlings that succombed to a late frost. These aren’t idle questions. Today, it’s not a problem. If I lost a crop I could just start another. There are lots of places I can get good, heirloom seedlings and I have a freezer full of replacement seeds. That will not always be true. The time may well come when the productivity of my garden will determine how well and how often we eat.

So my gardening notebook will be revived with a bit more information that I used to include. I have always included last frost date (but I was sloppy about it) and some general information about rainfall but I am going to begin including just how often I need to water and what the earthworms are doing. I can tell you that this year the worms are further down in cooler, wetter soil. It makes sense as the soil above is dusty and hot. But I don’t trust it for an instant. We could get several more hard frosts still.

I think we have finally decided about the hay field. After going round and about I think it only makes sense, economic and soil-wise to run a ruminant in the big field. We get meat and a fetilized field that doesn’t require haying for the outlay of some fencing and a couple of bucks for an animal that is heading for auction. It won’t be a lot of meat but a few hundred pounds is certainly worth the investment. I’m all for sheep myself but Bruce is leaning towards a calf.

The bees will be here next week. Bruce has the kids helping him finish up the hives today. The potatoes came yesterday and we’ll be getting them in the ground in the next day or two as well. I’m expecting an Oikos order of trees and bushes and my seeds from Carol Deppe are on route as well. For the time being, life is full and blessings are aundant but we could sure use some rain.